Saturday, February 23, 2008

Maria Goretti Movie

I went and watched the new Maria Goretti Movie at the sisters' house. It was good except for a few points.
1) Maria hardly fought off her attacker
2) Her attacker repents very shortly after he attacks
3) She does not appear to him
4) When the attacker's father finds her he yells at Maria's mother and she mysteriously knows what happened

What I really liked was that they showed Maria's attacker before he was corrupted by hate. It reminds me that even the people whom do wicked things to me were once children too, with good hearts.

Overall it was a good movie.

4 comments:

Sacred Heart Catholic Church said...

Interesting critique. You must know more about the true story. Maybe you could write about it on your blog.

Unknown said...

I liked this movie, except for three things: 1. Too much emphasis on the heroic landowner-fighting priest, and 2., Too little emphasis on what actually constituted sainthood for her..as the viewer gets the notion that her single act of forgiveness is what made her a saint. 3., Not fully accurate to the actual story.

TOM LAYTON--author of "The Fifteenth Crimson Lily"--a new book about St.Maria Goretti

Melissa Cecilia said...

I stumbled across your blog looking for more info about St. Maria Goretti and the movie based on her life.

I agree, it's not 100% accurate (same with The Miracle of Our Lady of Fatima). Still, it's a beautifully done film and I think it really makes you want to learn more about St. Maria Goretti and her life.

jack perry said...

I agree with all your points. I have a somewhat more thorough analysis here.